Frequently Asked Questions

question mark



  • I have left Emory; how long do my benefits remain in effect?

Your medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits remain in effect until the last day of the month in which you last worked. Other benefits, including disability, end on the last day of employment. Refer to the Separation Checklist.

  • What is COBRA?

COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) is part of a federal law that allows employees who separate from employment the right to continue their current health insurance. COBRA provides you with an opportunity to continue coverage for medical/prescription, dental, and vision for up to 18 months if you had coverage through the Emory University health plans. There are circumstances where coverage may be extended beyond the 18 months: • 29 months is available to employees who are determined to have been disabled at any time during the first 60 days of COBRA coverage. This would apply to qualified beneficiaries. • Up to 36 months for spouses and dependents facing a loss of employer-provided coverage due to an employee's death or a divorce. • You may continue participation in the Healthcare Flexible Spending Account through COBRA until December 31st of the year of your termination of employment.

  • What do I have to do to get the COBRA benefits?

Upon departmental notification of your termination, the COBRA Administrator will send you information on how to enroll, and the cost of coverage under COBRA. Typically, you should receive this information approximately 15 to 30 days following your termination date. Make sure your address is up-to-date Self-Service.

  • How long do I have to enroll in COBRA?

You have 60 days after your termination date, or from the date of notification, whichever is later, to complete your enrollment for COBRA continuation coverage.

  • May I choose to continue one part of my coverage, for example, dental coverage only?

Yes. You may continue any or all of the coverage for which you are eligible.

  • Can I change the type of coverage and/or carrier that I currently have?

In most cases, you must keep the same coverage and/or carrier you have currently. There are some instances that may allow you to elect a different coverage but you must contact the Emory COBRA Administrator for a detailed answer and circumstances.

  • How do I find out detailed answers concerning my own benefits? For example: who is covered under my plan, what plans do I currently have, etc. while I am still an employee?

For answers to detailed questions, you can access your benefits information, vendor contact information, and your personal information, through Self-Service. You will need your network ID and password. Contact the IT Department at 404-727-7777 if you need this information. If you cannot access Self-Service, call the Benefits Department at 404-727-7613.

  • Can I also continue coverage on my dependents?

Yes, your spouse and your dependents are covered as long as they were enrolled on your benefits on the day before your employment ends and they are properly enrolled for COBRA benefits.

  • Will there be a gap in coverage for me or my dependents?

No, there is no gap in coverage. Coverage is dated back to the COBRA Qualifying Event date. Coverage must be continuous and the COBRA Administrator must receive your paperwork for continuation in the proper timeframe.

  • Can I add a dependent?

If you have eligible dependents not currently enrolled, they may not be enrolled except during the annual enrollment period or as a result of a qualified Family Status Change.

  • What is the cost of COBRA?

The COBRA Rate is the full premium rate plus an additional 2% (102% of the total premium). View Cost of COBRA.

  • Is payment due at the same time as my enrollment?

No. Depending on when you elected COBRA coverage, you have 45 days after notifying the COBRA Administrator of your intent to enroll in COBRA before any payment is due. Your first payment includes premiums back to the date your coverage terminated. Coverage must be continuous.

  • Where do I send the monthly payment?

Premiums are made payable to: Regions Insurance., P.O. Box 80568, Athens, GA 30608.

  • How do I get my prescription coverage after I terminate?

If you elect health coverage under COBRA, you will continue to have prescription coverage. If you do not elect the health coverage under COBRA, you will not have prescription coverage.

  • When will my last flexible spending account contribution be taken?

If you are enrolled in the Healthcare and/or Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Account, contributions end with your last check. You may be able to continue your participation in the Healthcare FSA through COBRA until December 31st of the year of your termination of employment.

  • What happens to my unused FSA balance?

According to IRS regulations, Dependent Day Care FSA and Healthcare FSA contributions remaining after the end of the plan year are forfeited (known as the “use it or lose it” rule).

  • May I submit claims for services beyond my termination date for my flexible spending account?

For your Healthcare FSA, you may only submit claims for services rendered prior to your termination date, UNLESS you decide to continue participation under COBRA. This allows you to submit claims for services incurred beyond your termination date. For Dependent Day Care FSA, you may submit claims for services incurred up to your separation date.

  • I still have Healthcare or Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Account claims that I need to submit. Will I get reimbursed?

Contact Aetna/PayFlex at 888-678-8242.

  • I am no longer with Emory; what happens to my Life Insurance or Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance?

Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment ceases on the last day of the month in which your separation occurs. Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance coverage may be portable if you are under age 70 or may be converted within 31 days of separation. For information, contact The Standard at 866-756-8118. You are responsible for mailing the continuation form and any payments to The Standard. You must return this form and pay the premiums to The Standard within 31 days of your last date worked. Accidental Death and Dismemberment is not portable and cannot be converted.

  • I am no longer with Emory; what happens to my Disability Coverage?

Disability coverage ends at the date of separation. You may convert Long Term Disability, Long Term Care, and Supplemental Income Protection (SIP) to an individual disability plan within 31 days of separation. Contact UNUM at 800-421-0344 for information. This coverage is different than the University coverage and COLA is not offered.

  • Can I continue in the Prepaid Legal Plan?

Prepaid Legal ends on the date your employment ends. Contact Hyatt Legal at 800-821-6400 within 30 days for information on individual coverage.

  • I am no longer with Emory; how do I request a distribution from the 403(b) Plan?

Please contact your vendor to inquire about the distribution options that are available to you and the taxes/penalties that may apply: • Vanguard – 800-523-1188 • Fidelity – 800-343-0860 • TIAA – 800-842-2252.

  • I am shown as an active employee and I want a distribution from my 403(b). What should I do?

You must be terminated from Emory and all Affiliates to receive your distribution. Contact your department to have them initiate the process to have the system updated showing your termination status.

  • When do I receive my distribution for the 403(b)?

As long as you are terminated in the system and all paperwork is completed properly and signed by the vendor, you should receive your distribution in 2-3 weeks. • Forms are signed when the completed distribution form is received at the vendor or you. Make sure the forms are original and the spousal waiver or non-spouse waiver is signed and notarized. • You cannot work for any part of Emory or Affiliates in order to receive your distribution.

  • If I leave Emory for any reason, can I leave my money in the 403(b) Plan?

Your account can remain in Emory when you leave.

  • What happens to my 403(b) TIAA or Fidelity loans?

Upon termination, you still are obligated to pay your loans with TIAA and Fidelity. If you are terminated, loans are not permitted from TIAA or Fidelity.

  • How do I know if I have money in the retirement plan offered by Emory?

Call the vendor(s) that you originally selected to participate with and your status can be determined.

  • I have a 457(b). What do I do with this plan?

If you were participating in the 457(b) plan, please contact your retirement vendor(s). You have 90 days from separation to make a onetime irrevocable decision on when you want to take a distribution. If you do not make a decision in 90 days, the money is distributed to you in 5 equal annual installments and is subject to taxes. After the 90 days and the vendor is notified, you should receive the money in 2-3 weeks.

  • How do I receive my final pay?

Your final pay, depending on your date of termination, is deposited into your account. Your pay advice is sent through interoffice to your department. Contact the Payroll Department at 404-727-6100 if you have any questions.

  • Do I get paid for accrued but unused vacation days?

Unused vacation is paid out (depending on status and accrual maximums) and is deposited into your account. Taxes are taken out. Contact the Payroll Department at (404) 727-6100 if you have any questions.

  • How do I receive any final outstanding expenses?

All expenses remaining for reimbursement are disbursed from the accounting department.

  • What if I have expenses not submitted before separation for which I need to be reimbursed?

You need to work with your department on this issue.

  • What do I do with my equipment, keys, badges, etc?

All laptops, security badges, and any other Emory equipment is owned by Emory and must be returned to your department by the last day of employment.

  • How do I verify my Emory employment information in the future?

For employment only, contact The Work Number TALX at 800-367-5690. For employment and income verification, contact The Work Number TALX at 800-367-2884. The employer code is 11322.