Leave Options

If you need to take time away during the pandemic whether it is for health, family or other personal reasons, Emory has several options available.

COVID-19 Emory-Paid Leave

Emory provides benefits-eligible staff members with a one-time bank of up to 4 weeks of COVID-19 Emory-Paid Leave. This leave can be used if you cannot work on campus or from home because of any of the following reasons:

  • You are diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus;
  • You are subject to a federal, state, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
  • You have been advised by your medical provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19;
  • You are caring for immediate family members who are subject to a federal, state, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
  • You are caring for immediate family members who are experiencing the symptoms of COVID-19 or who have been advised by your family members’ medical provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.

To use this leave, you must provide documentation supporting your request.

View Details on COVID-19 Leave

COVID-19 Child Care Leave

Recognizing the challenges our employees are facing with child care during the COVID-19 pandemic, Emory University will offer benefits-eligible staff members up to three (3) weeks of Emory-paid time that can be used to care for children under the age of 18.

To use COVID-19 Child Care Leave, simply request it from your supervisor just as you would vacation or sick leave (no additional documentation is needed). Emory’s time keeping systems has been updated to include the new COVID-19 Child Care Leave option.

View Details on COVID-19 Child Care Leave

Those at High Risk or Vulnerable

The CDC has defined the following group as high risk and susceptible for various illnesses:

  •     People 65 years and older
  •     People who live in a nursing home or long-term care facility
  •     People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
  •     People who have a serious heart condition
  •     People who are immunocompromised
  •     People with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher)
  •     People with diabetes
  •     People with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
  •     People with liver disease

The list above may not include all high risk categories as the CDC continually makes updates to this list. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the CDC's webpage: People Who Are at Increased Risk for Severe Illness.

If you have been asked to return to work on campus but are unable to because you are in a vulnerable/high risk category OR you are living with an individual who is in a vulnerable/high risk category, you will need to use either sick or vacation leave.

You must also complete the COVID-19 Attestation Form and fax it to Central Human Resources via a HIPAA-compliant FAX line at 404-712-5205.

Emory will provide up to four weeks of additional sick leave for employees who exhaust their sick leave balance. If you are not able to report to work after the four weeks of sick leave has been exhausted, a new attestation form will be required in order to be considered for additional time. If additional time is not approved, you may request unpaid Personal Leave (HR Policy 4.78).

Employees with serious health conditions must still adhere to steps and procedures described under Family & Medical Leave (FMLA HR Policy 4.73).

Fearful of Returning to Campus

Despite the safety standards Emory is putting in place, we realize that some employees may remain fearful about returning to work on campus. If you are fearful:

  •  You will need to use vacation leave. Sick leave will not be extended for this purpose.
  •  Email your request to departmental leaders, managers, or supervisors, including any appropriate documentation.

You also have the option to go on unpaid Personal Leave for up to 90 days after your vacation leave is exhausted. See Personal Leave (HR Policy 4.78). Email documents pertaining to Personal Leave requests to your departmental Human Resources Representative.

If you have been diagnosed with a condition such as anxiety and receive a medical certification, Family & Medical Leave (FMLA HR Policy 4.73) may also apply.

If you need help, the Faculty Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) provides a range of services to help with your emotional health. Call 404-727-4328.