FitTrip 2015 is coming!
Find Your Success Story
Start your New Year with a pledge to a better you by participating in our 12 week body transformation, healthy lifestyle challenge. Our program includes:
- Two hydrostatic weigh-ins
- FitTrip T-shirt and other fun prizes
- Nutrition workshop
- Guidebook with helpful tips
- Goal wetting, tips and check-ins
- CHANCE to WIN a $1,000 American Express Travel Card
Weigh-in dates: February 4th and 11th
Member of the Month: Michael Hager
The Member of the Month section provides a way for us to recognize dedicated Blomeyer members who have been working hard and cosistently to get in better health and shape with the help of the BHFC. If you know a fellow Blomeyer member whose efforts should not go unnoticed, please tell us!
To nominate someone, please send us an email at email@example.com with the name and a few highlights of the person you'd like to see as our next Member of the Month.
The Blomeyer Member of the Month for January 2015 is Michael Hager. Congratulations, Michael!
How did you start your wellness lifestyle?
After many years of intermittent exercise followed by issues with elevated LDL cholesterol levels and high blood pressure, I decided to make health and exercise a top priority. In addition to implementing a few dietary changes, I joined Blomeyer two years ago to develop a more consistent exercise routine.
What have you accomplished thus far concerning your health?
Over the past two years, I have increased both the frequency and intensity of my exercise routine from a thirty minute strength building session twice a week to a one hour cardio/weight training workout six days a week. I dropped 15 pounds and reduced both my LDL cholesterol and blood pressure within acceptable range. I also realized gains in both muscular strength and physical endurance.
What are your future wellness endeavors?
In addition to maintaining my daily exercise routine, I also would like to incorporate some of the group classes offered at Blomeyer.
What types of hobbies and interests do you have outside of exercising?
As of late, my 10-year-old daughter decides almost all of my leisure activities. In addition to softball, these include swimming, cycling, roller skating and playing the piano. Occasionally, I fit in a weekend hike at Kennesaw Mountain.
Fun fact about you:
After spending two years ballroom dancing, I still have two left feet.
What department do you work for?
Emory Institute for Drug Development
- Favorite food: Red lentil curry
- Movie: Man on Fire
- Sport: College basketball
- Exercise: Incline bench press
- Music: Gustav Mahler
Earning Your Incentives Makes Perfect “Health Cents”
To encourage you to take an active role in your health, Emory provides financial incentives for healthy behavior. You can actually save money on your medical expenses by taking action and doing things that help you live a healthy lifestyle. Start by taking the Aetna Simple Steps Online Health Assessment at www.aetna.com.
The assessment gives you a quick snapshot of your overall health and ideas for improvement – plus, you’ll earn a $25 gift card! After taking the assessment, you’ll be eligible for more incentives to encourage you to live healthy.
For more information, visit .www.hr.emory.edu/incentives
Recipe: Quinoa and Black Beans
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Mix quinoa into onion mixture and cover with vegetable broth; season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes; mix in the black beans and cilantro.
Quote of the Month
A new year is on the way and the possibilities are endless.
Health Observances of the Month
- Cervical Health Awareness Month
- Fit Trip 101
- National Motivation and Inspiration Day
- Roll Your Way to Fitness