Member of the Month: Roger Presswood
The Member of the Month section provides a way for us to recognize dedicated Blomeyer members who have been working hard and cosistently to get in better health and shape with the help of the BHFC. If you know a fellow Blomeyer member whose efforts should not go unnoticed, please tell us!
To nominate someone, please send us an email at email@example.com with the name and a few highlights of the person you'd like to see as our next Member of the Month.
The Blomeyer Member of the Month for July 2014 is Roger Presswood. Congratulations, Roger!
How did you start your wellness lifestyle?
I grew up playing sports, but after two knee surgeries from playing college basketball, I was searching for ways to stay fit and started biking and finding other activities like elliptical machines and weight lifting to increase my fitness.
What have you accomplished thus far concerning your health?
I would say I’m proudest of finding a good “balance” of activities that support my overall health goals which include cardio workouts, light weight lifting, yoga and dancing.
What are your future wellness endeavors?
To continue to increase my health and fitness in ways that enhance my body in a holistic manner in terms of weight, immune system, joint health, etc.
Native of Atlanta!
What types of hobbies and interests do you have outside of exercising?
I love ballroom dancing both socially and performing. It’s truly a wonderful activity that is extremely challenging, but also very fun and rewarding in so many ways because of the social interaction, learning how your body moves, and the artistic expression it allows.
Fun fact about you:
I love Halloween and won a costume contest last year as... Frankenstein of course! I’m 7 feet tall!
What department do you work for?
Emory University Graduate School of Public Health
- Favorite food: Mellow Mushroom Pizza!
- Movie: Gladiator
- Sport: Ballroom Dance (yes I call it a sport :)
- Exercise: Elliptical is perfect
- Music: 80’s of course!
July is Anti-Boredom Month
Top 10 Atlanta activities to beat summer boredom:
- Take a walk through Piedmont Park
- Play Frisbee/Disc Golf at local park
- Try an hour of Yoga outside
- Kayaking/Paddleboard Lake Lanier or Lake Altoona
- Ride the Silver Comet Trail
- Tube down the Chattahoochee
- Run The ATL Beltline
- Get some yard work or house chores done
- Visit Zoo Atlanta or GA Aquarium
- Come visit Blomeyer!
Exciting July 4th activities around Atlanta:
- 44th Peachtree Road Race
- Fireworks shows around Atlanta: Centennial Park/Marietta Square/Turner Field/East Point July 4th Carnival
- 55th Annual Let Freedom Ring July 4th Festivities at Lenox Square
- Children’s Museum of Atlanta Presents: Imagine It July 4th Celebration
Volunteer or cheer on the runners for AJC’s 44th annual Peachtree Road Race, the world’s largest 10K. More information on the race and volunteer opportunities can be found on peachtreeroadrace.org Don’t forget to send your pics for our facebook page!
Recipe: Berry Delicious Summer Salad
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts or pecans
- Bottled vinaigrette
- Toss together first 4 ingredients; drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette, tossing gently to coat.
- Suggested Dressing: Newman’s Own Light Raspberry and Walnut Vinaigrette
Makes 6-8 servings
Quote of the Month
Health Observances of the Month
- Anti-Boredom Month
- National Chocolate Day
- Fresh Spinach Day
- Massage Week
- National Salad Week
- All or Nothing Day