Member of the Month: Lisa Brown
The Member of the Month section provides a way for us to recognize dedicated Blomeyer members who have been working hard and cosistently to get in better health and shape with the help of the BHFC. If you know a fellow Blomeyer member whose efforts should not go unnoticed, please tell us!
To nominate someone, please send us an email at email@example.com with the name and a few highlights of the person you'd like to see as our next Member of the Month.
The Blomeyer Member of the Month for December 2013 is Lisa Brown. Congratulations, Lisa!
How did you start your wellness lifestyle?
I began my wellness lifestyle three years ago when I made it a goal to loose 20lbs. I ended up losing 25lbs and have continued my healthy eating regiment and exercise program.
What have you accomplished thus far concerning your health?
I work out 4 to 5 days a week with two workouts per day twice per week and strive to eat from the five food groups daily. I also strive to drink 6 – 8 glasses of water daily.
What are your future wellness endeavors?
I want resume my seven mile run outside twice a week. I am also targeting building muscle, specifically abs and arms.
New Kensington (Pittsburgh)
What types of hobbies and interests do you have outside of exercising?
Avid Bible reader, love to color, build puzzles and complete word find puzzles.
Fun fact about you:
I like to clown! TURN UP!!!
- Favorite food: Seafood
- Movie: Love & Basketball
- Sport: Football
- Exercise: Long-distance running
- Music: R&B
Article of the Month: The 4 Principles of Hand Washing
The 4 Principles for Hand Awareness have been endorsed by the AMA and AAFP. The CDC and Prevention say hand washing is the single most effective way to prevent the transmission of disease.
- Wash your hands when they are dirty and BEFORE eating.
- DO NOT cough into your hands.
- DO NOT sneeze into your hands.
- Above all, DO NOT put your hands into your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Recipe: Barcelona Hot Chocolate
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 ounces good-quality dark or bittersweet (60 to 70 percent cocoa) chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup brewed espresso or strong coffee
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 2-inch piece orange rind strip
- 1/4 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- Combine 2/3 cup boiling water and chopped chocolate in a medium saucepan, stirring until chocolate melts.
- Add milk and next 4 ingredients (through rind); cook over medium-low heat, stirring with a whisk.
- Heat 5 minutes or until tiny bubbles form around edge of pan, stirring frequently (do not boil). Discard rind.
- Pour 1 cup mixture into each of 4 mugs. Spoon 1 tablespoon whipped topping over each serving. Dust with cocoa powder, if desired.
Quote of the Month
A river cuts through a rock, not because of its power but its persistence.
Health Observances of the Month
- Healthy Cooking Awareness Month
- National Cookie Day
- National Handwashing Awareness Week