Emory’s Temporary Tobacco Use Zones End on August 1
As we approach the end of the school year, Emory’s Tobacco-Free Task Force would like to take this opportunity to thank faculty, students, and staff for the support of the tobacco free policy. We would also like to remind all faculty, students, and staff that on August 1, 2012 the temporary smoking zones will no longer be available as Emory University transitions to a 100% tobacco-free campus. In the fall, all tobacco-use will be completely prohibited on Emory University and Emory Healthcare properties and at Emory-sponsored events.
Below are a few other reminders about the policy:
· All types of tobacco are prohibited, including, but not limited to: cigarettes, cigars, pipes, all forms of smokeless tobacco, clove cigarettes, ecigarettes, and any other smoking devices that use tobacco such as hookahs.
· For those who need help quitting tobacco, Emory offers several tobacco cessation resources at no cost to faculty, staff and students: www.tobaccofree.emory.edu/cessation/index.html.
· Since the tobacco-free policy is a community health initiative, the entire Emory community is responsible for its enforcement. Ideally, there will be voluntary compliance and no disciplinary actions will be needed. One way to aid enforcement is to provide many options for cessation and support for those who choose to stop using tobacco. Sample scripts to assist students, faculty and staff in approaching smokers on campus have been developed and are available at: www.tobaccofree.emory.edu/enforcement/index.html.
· If you see someone smoking on campus, kindly let them know of our new policy. Please be sure to treat people with respect and professionalism as visitors to our campus may not be aware of the policy. If someone becomes hostile or angry upon being approached, do not escalate the situation; simply walk away.
· If you notice a pattern of smoking (i.e. someone continuing to smoke in a tobacco-free area), you can anonymously report this activity online at: http://apps.hr.emory.edu/TobaccoFree.
Thank you for your continued support and assistance with Tobacco-free Emory! As a result of this policy, our campus will be a healthier, cleaner environment that truly supports the overall wellness of our students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, visit: www.tobaccofree.emory.edu.